Thursday, December 13, 2007

The Next Big Thing

Here's the next big thing in stupidity.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071213/wr_nm/russia_internet_dc

"A Russian website called CyberLover.ru is advertising a software tool that, it says, can simulate flirtatious chatroom exchanges. It boasts that it can chat up as many as 10 women at the same time and persuade them to hand over phone numbers."

Software is slowly getting good, really good, at somethings that people have imagined computers would someday do back in the 1950s. One of those things is impersonate a person. This comes in many forms from voice response systems to movies to video games, but scamers will be picking up soon enough. Look out, they will be good, very good.

See also...

http://www.loosewireblog.com/2007/12/meet-veronica-s.html

"Just in case you can't read that last bit, it reads:

'can't wait to get real nasty and show off :) IM REAL MISS WEB CAM!'

"Reply to the message and immediately you're asked to share your contact details (a la Skype.) I didn't risk having Veronica spam all my friends (not sure how that would work, but I've got some nice people on my list, and I'd hate for them to be upset.) But I did reply to her message, and her responses were quick, and, dare I say it, felt a trifle automated"

Shocking. You're shocked right? I rather like Skype. I'd hate to see it get annoying.

No comments:

ShareThis